Fire broke out on the third floor of a multi-storeyed building near Sunderpur at RG Baruah Road in Guwahati on June 24 afternoon.

The fire gutted an under-construction training institute which was supposed to be opened after the ongoing furnishing work was completed.

The fire broke out in the afternoon at Nirvana Tower, apparently due to an electric short-circuit.

Amulya Prasad Dutta, an elderly resident on the top floor of the building, was affected by smoke and has to be rescued and rushed to a hospital.

Fire-tenders from various stations along with personnel from police and the State Disaster Response Force (SDRF) rushed to the spot.

“It took us around an hour to control the fire. Luckily no one was injured. The old man, who was stuck at the top floor, is stable,” a fireman said.

The building housed commercial establishments till the third floor, with a restaurant in the second floor, while the fourth floor was a residential property.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Avatar photo
About TNM NewsDesk


The News Mill is a Guwahati-based digital media with focus on content from across Northeast India and beyond. We can be reached through [email protected]