Fire destroys nursing college hostel in Imphal

Fire breaks out at nursing college hostel – The News Mill

The belongings of 67 first and second year students were reduced to ashes

A massive fire gutted Hostel No. 2 of RIMS Nursing College in Imphal on Wednesday leading to loss of property and important documents of the students. Officials said that fortunately no one was injured in the fire.

The incident occurred at around 9.30am on Wednesday after a fire, suspected to be from an electric short circuit, erupted at Hostel No 2 of the nursing college, while the students were at their classes.

“The fire broke out after students had left the hostel to attend classes in dental college located in the same campus,” said librarian Devika Laithangbam.

Officials said that timely action of the state fire service prevented the fire from spreading to the nearby buildings and other structures of the nursing college. It took them more than an hour to control the blaze.

The belongings of 67 first and second year students were reduced to ashes.

Speaking to media persons, secretary of Trained Nurses Association, Th Binodini Devi said that after she spotted smoke coming from the side of the hostel, she along with a few security personnel of the hostel, went to investigate and found that a fire had engulfed Hostel No 2 of the Nursing College.

She further stated that they only managed to save some documents and dresses of the hostellers from some of the rooms as the fire was spreading very fast from one room to another.

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Avatar photo
About TNM NewsDesk


The News Mill is a Guwahati-based digital media with focus on content from across Northeast India and beyond. We can be reached through [email protected]