India international from Manipur Suresh Wangjam has called for strict action and a thorough investigation against the sexual misconduct that rocked Indian football.
He termed the incident ‘very disturbing’.
The Bengaluru FC midfielder said that the women’s game is on the rise in the country and everyone should join hands to encourage it.
“The incident of sexual misconduct surrounding the Girls U17 team is very disturbing. I hope that a thorough investigation is carried out and the guilty are punished harshly. Women’s football has been on the rise, and we have to do everything to encourage it,” Suresh Wangjam said on July 5 on his Twitter handle.
Earlier, the Indian U17 women team’s assistant coach Alex Ambrose was sacked from his position for sexual misconduct during a foreign tour.
The incident of sexual misconduct surrounding the Girls U17 team is very disturbing.I hope that a thorough investigation is carried out and the guilty are punished harshly. Women's football has been on the rise, and we have to do everything to encourage it.
— Suresh Wangjam (@SureshWangjam) July 5, 2022
After a complaint was made by a player against Ambrose, the 39-year-old was told to return to India midway through the youth team’s preparation tour to Italy and Norway ahead of the U17 World Cup.
“How will parents allow their daughters to pursue football professionally when there is no system for their safety? We should do more,” Suresh added later.
Ambrose had been working with the junior team since 2019 and was earlier an assistant coach at the Mumbai City FC outfit in the Indian Super League.
Media reports hinted that Ambrose might face police charges in this case.