The number of COVID-19 cases in Meghalaya continued to rise on July 7, with six new cases, including two from Indian Air Force and a Border Security Force (BSF) trooper, taking the total number of active cases in the state to 50.
The Meghalaya government has described the prevailing health situation in the state as “not conducive”.
Health and Family Welfare Minister AL Hek informed that among the six who tested positive were two men from the Indian Air Force and a BSF trooper.
“Six returnees who came from Karnataka, US, Rajasthan and Kolkata have tested positive in Shillong,” Hek said.
“In total, there are 23 BSF personnel who are COVID-19 positive in the state as of now,” Hek added.
He said so far 865 samples have been tested from the BSF Composite Hospital, Umpling in Shillong.
Giving a breakup of COVID-19 cases, Hek said East Khasi Hills has 29 patients, Ri-Bhoi has 15, South West Garo Hills has 2, East Jaintia Hills district has 1 and West Garo Hills has 3 patients.
Deputy Chief Minister Prestone Tynsong said that the situation is not conducive in the state and if it worsens or continues to be grave the state government will be left with no other option other than re-imposing lockdown, even as he allayed fears of community transmission.
“If situation worsens or continues to be grim, I think we will have no option (but to re-impose lockdown),” he said.
The deputy chief minister appealed to the citizens of the state to desist from exposing them unnecessarily.
“The situation is not conducive. Therefore, I request each and every citizen to kindly refrain themselves to any unnecessary exposure,” he cautioned.
Over the last week there has been a surge in COVID-19 cases in Meghalaya. On July 6, the state recorded the highest single-day spike with 16 new cases.
With six new cases as of July 7 evening, Meghalaya stands with 95 total detected cases with 50 active, 2 deceased and 43 recovered.