© Heynortheast Media Private Limited
Himachal dhaba tragedy: Mortal remains of 9 Northeast soldiers reach home
The mortal remains of Junior Commission Officers (JCOs) of 4 Assam Regiment who died due to collapse of a building at Solan in Himachal Pradesh reached Guwahati on July 16.
A total of 13 JCOs died in the incident, of which nine were from the Northeast states. A special Air Force aircraft brought the nine bodies from Chandigarh Air Base to Guwahati on July 16.
The aircraft delivered the mortal remains of two individuals at Imphal, four at Silchar and three at Guwahati.
The names of the nine gallant soldiers from the Northeast states are:
- Sub Maj Prodip Chandra Bhuyan of Nagaon, Assam
- Sub Bisharsing Basumatary of Dhubri, Assam
- Sub Henkhomang Gangte of Happy Valley, Shillong
- Sub Ajit Kumar Singha of Hailakandi, Assam
- N/Sub M Rajkishore Singha of Hailakandi, Assam
- Sub Sujit Sharma of Karimganj, Assam
- Sub Kumar Chorei of Karimganj, Assam
- Sub K Lalson Vaiphei of Churachandpur, Manipur
- N/Sub M Nobin Chandra Singh of Thoubal, Manipur
Also, Sub Balwinder Singh of Jind, Haryana; Sub Yogesh Kumar of Ghaziabad, N/Sub Vinod Kumar of Rewari, Haryana and Sub Rajen Bahadur lost their lives in the accident.
“A wreath laying ceremony was organised where wreath were laid by Air Commodore T Mare , AOC, Air Force Station Guwahati, Brig RK Gaikwad, Commandant Assam Regt Centre, Shillong and other senior officers. Thereafter the bodies of the martyrs were sent to their respective place with an escort,” Defence PRO Lt Col P Khongsai informed.
Thirteen soldiers and a civilian were killed and 28 others rescued after a four-storey “unsafe” building in Himachal Pradesh’s Kumarhatti town where Assam Rifles troopers were holding a party collapsed due to rain, officials said on July 15.
The News Mill is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@thenewsmill) and stay updated with the latest news from across Northeast India