Meghalaya has recorded another COVID-19 case after one person, who had travelled from Uttar Pradesh, tested positive for novel coronavirus on June 3.
Health and Family Welfare Minister Alexander Laloo Hek said the person had returned recently to West Jaintia Hills district from Agra.
West Jaintia Hills is the newest district, which has recorded COVID-19 positive cases.
“The person is under quarantine in Jowai (the district headquarters) and is under medical observation,” Hek was quoted as saying by news agency UNI.
The health minister also informed that the first COVID-19 patient from West Garo Hills district has recovered after the person’s swab samples tested negative.
With this new detection, Meghalaya has so far recorded 30 cases, out of which, 17 are active, and 13 have fully recovered while one had died on April 15.
The health minister has urged the citizens of the state not to panic but to cooperate with the government, especially with frontline workers.
“With the arrival of the returnees from ‘red zones’ areas we expect some positive cases but I can assure you as of today there is no community transmission of this disease in Meghalaya,” Hek said.
He, however, appealed to the people to strictly follow the standard operating protocol (SOP) to prevent from being infected with Coronavirus.
“We need to take care of elderly people and people with co-morbid conditions. Asymptotic and young people are recovering from this by observing isolation,” Hek added.
The News Mill is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@thenewsmill) and stay updated with the latest news from across Northeast India