© Heynortheast Media Private Limited
One dead, 20 hospitalized after consuming ‘poisoned’ chickpeas in Assam
One person died and at least 20 others have been hospitalised after consuming ‘poisoned’ chickpeas at Bezara near Baihata Chariali in Kamrup district on August 20.
Officials said that around 80 people consumed the chickpeas in the evening at an event of shop inauguration.
Kamrup Deputy Commissioner Kailash Karthik N said that 20 of them have been admitted in the hospital with several complications.
He also said that the number is likely to be increased.
Karthik said one death is reported so far but it can be confirmed only after the post mortem result whether the person died because of the ‘poisoned’ food consumption.
The DC further said that it is too early to comment on what led to the incident and inquiry will be initiated to ascertain the causes of the incident.
“Our main focus right now is taking care of the people and giving them medical treatment. A thorough investigation will be done,” he said.
The News Mill is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@thenewsmill) and stay updated with the latest news from across Northeast India