Total lockdown has been ordered in several parts of Guwahati from 9pm on June 23 in wake of rapid increase in number of COVID-19 cases in those areas, leading to apprehensions of community transmission of the virus.
Kamrup Metro Deputy Commissioner Biswajit Pegu on June 23 said that the lockdown will be in place till further orders.
Areas falling under ward numbers 2 to 9, 15, 16, and parts of ward number 10 of Guwahati Municipal Corporation have been placed under the total lockdown.
Urging the people to follow the lockdown norms strictly, Pegu said, “We seek the cooperation of the people so that we can check the spread of COVID-19 in the city. Violators of lockdown rules will be dealt with stringently under relevant laws.”
Movement of people employed in essential and emergency services has been allowed in the lockdown areas, while thoroughfare for vehicles without any stoppage has also been permitted.
Shops dealing with groceries, fruits and vegetables, dairy and milk booths, animal fodder will remain open from 10 am to 5 pm in these areas.
Pegu informed that more than 150 positive cases of COVID-19 have been detected in Guwahati so far without any travel history and added that testing is being ramped up to find the extent of prevalence of the infection in the city.
Altogether 50,000 tests have been targeted under Assam Targeted Surveillance Programme in the city, with special focus on parking lots, patrol depots, roadside dhabas, etc. by June 30.
The News Mill is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@thenewsmill) and stay updated with the latest news from across Northeast India