News & Information From Northeast India

Century-old Shillong church gutted in massive fire, couple dies

An elderly couple and their dog died after a massive fire broke out at the century-old ‘Church of God’ in Meghalaya’s capital city Shillong on Sunday morning.

The Church of God, established in 1902, and another adjoining house located at Qualapatty area in Shillong were reduced to ashes in the raging fire that was reported around 3 am on Sunday.

Two persons having a house close to the church reportedly died due to suffocation.

When some people noticed that flames came out of the church, they immediately informed police and fire services. But, when police and fire services teams arrived at the area, flames spread to the most parts of the church and the adjoining house.

The cause of the fire was yet to be ascertained.

The News Mill is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@thenewsmill) and stay updated with the latest news from across Northeast India