COVID-19 threat: Mizoram imposes total lockdown for two weeks from June 9

Mizoram government on June 8 announced to re-impose a total lockdown in the state from June 9, in wake of the rising coronavirus cases across the country.

In a statement, the state government said that there will be a complete lockdown in Mizoram for two weeks starting from June 9, adding that it will issue guidelines later in the day.

“Consultative meeting chaired by Chief Minister Zoramthanga decides to impose two weeks total lockdown of the state with effect from 00:00 hours of 9th June 2020 in view of the prevailing situation. Lockdown guidelines will be notified shortly,” Mizoram’s Directorate of Information and Public Relations said in a tweet.

In another statement, the state government said that it has also decided to “extend the period of quarantine which currently is 14 days to 21 days with immediate effect”.

So far, Mizoram has reported 42 coronavirus cases with 41 of them still active.

As many as 9,543 people were staying at government quarantine centres while 8,677 others were sent for home quarantine as on June 8. The state has conducted 2,252 tests and has screened 106,623 people.

About TNM NewsDesk

-

The News Mill is a Guwahati-based digital media with focus on content from across Northeast India and beyond. We can be reached through editor@thenewsmill.com

Previous

Fairytale journey of Kekdam Lingo: From a constable to DSP

Assam govt provides Rs 3.29 crore grant to local startups

Next