Third party role can’t be ruled out in eviction violence, says CM Sarma

Assam chief minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said that the role of a third party in September 23 violence in which two persons were killed and 20 others in Darrang district of the state cannot be ruled out.

An eviction drive was conducted by the police and the district administration to vacate 4,500 bighas of government land illegally encroached by several hundreds of families.

The chief minister said that the drive went on smoothly till on September 22, and only 60 families had to be evicted on September 23. But around 10,000 people with lathis etc. gathered at Sipajhar to put up a massive resistance, he said.

“Where did they come from? Who brought them,” Sarma asked while addressing an official function and said that to reveal the truth, the government has ordered a judicial inquiry into the incident to be conducted by a retired Gauhati high court judge.

Sarma said that Thursday’s violence was perpetrated, even as he promised to the All Assam Minority Students’ Union (AAMSU) that all the landless households would be provided with six bighas of land.

The CM also strongly disapproved the act of a photographer who was caught on camera stomping a severely injured person, who was later declared as dead.

The police have subsequently arrested the photographer, who was engaged by the administration to record the eviction drive.

Rejecting the demand of the opposition parties to suspend Darrang district magistrate and superintendent of police, the chief minister requested the Congress leaders to watch the entire video footage of the incident in which around 10,000 people came armed with sticks and spears and attacked the policemen first.

Darrang district superintendent of police Sushanta Biswa Sarma happens to be the chief minister’s younger brother.

Earlier in the day, a Congress delegation from Guwahati led by its state unit chief Bhupen Kumar Borah visited Darrang and staged a demonstration outside the DM’s office.

The Congress has also submitted a memorandum to governor Jagdish Mukhi demanding a judicial probe into the matter headed by a sitting judge of the Gauhati high court.

The Congress demanded that the eviction drive be kept in abeyance until a suitable resettlement plan is announced by the government.

“The police personnel, who were deployed for the eviction drive and were responsible for the barbaric act, should also be given exemplary punishment and adequate compensation should be announced for the victims’ families,” the party demanded, as it asked the government to convene an all-party meeting along with the stakeholders to finalise a realistic plan for the affected families.

About TNM NewsDesk

-

The News Mill is a Guwahati-based digital media with focus on content from across Northeast India and beyond. We can be reached through editor@thenewsmill.com

Previous

IIT Guwahati expels rape-accused student whom court called ‘future asset’

Reeldrama announces 8 new original Assamese web series, 2 original films

Next