Six coaches of the 15652 Guwahati-Jammu Tawi Lohit Express were set on fire by protesters in Bihar’s Mohiuddinnagar station on June 17.
The agitators, protesting against the Centre’s Agnipath scheme for entry into the armed forces, set on fire the train at around 6:10 am on June 17.
A Northeast Frontier Railway spokesperson said that there were 1169 passengers on the train and no casualties or injury were reported.
Mohiuddinnagar is in Samastipur district of central Bihar. The station is between
The railways announced several helpline numbers.
Because of the agitation, NF Railway announced cancellation of several trains. “In view of large scale agitation leading to damage to railway property including burning of train coaches in areas falling under East Central Railway (Bihar), some trains have been cancelled,” NF Railway said.
“Six coaches of train number 15652 Guwahati – Jammu Tawi Lohit Express were put on fire by agitators at about 6:10 am today (June 17) at Mohiuddinnagar station of Bihar. However, there were no casualties or injury to any passenger on board the train. There were 1169 passengers on the train. Helpline numbers manned by railway staff are already functional at different locations,” NF Railway further informed.
Helpline numbers are: At Guwahati: 03612731621, 03612731622, 03612731623; at New Jalpaiguri: 9434085300; at Kishanganj: 06456226794; at Katihar: 9608815880
Trains cancelled due to the agitation includes the following:
- 15909 Dibrugarh – Lalgarh Express of June 17
- 12505 Kamakhya – Anand Vihar Express of June 17
- 15483 Alipurduar Jn – Delhi Express of June 17
- 15624 Kamakhya – Bhagat Ki Kothi Express of June 17
- 15623 Bhagat Ki Kothi – Kamakhya Express of June 21
Several other trains are running late as protesters blocked railway tracks. 12424 New Delhi-Dibrugarh Rajdhani Express of June 16 is running late by more than 7 hours as it was among several other trains forced to stop due to the violent protests.
A number of organisations have given a 72-hour ultimatum to the Modi government to withdraw the Agnipath scheme or else they will intensify the agitation and call for Bharat Bandh. They alleged that the Centre was not hiring ‘Agniveers’ but “Bali Ka Bakra” (Scapegoats) for four years under the ‘Agnipath’ scheme.
Cancellation and diversions due to floods in Assam
Moreover, in view of damage caused to track at Km 347/6-8 between Nalbari and Ghograpar station under Rangiya division of NF Railway, services of several trains have been cancelled and diverted via Kamakhya – Goalpara Town – New Bongaigaon route.
- 12508 Silchar – Trivandrum Express of June 17 will originate from Guwahati and run via diverted route
- 15658 Kamakhya – Delhi Brahmaputra Mail of June 17
- 15630 Silghat Town – Tambaram Express of June 17
- 13176 Silchar – Sealdah Kanchanjungha Express of June 17
- 15959 Howrah – Dibrugarh Kamrup Express of June 16
- 12506 Anand vihar – Kamakhya Northeast Express of June 16
- 15904 Chandigarh – Dibrugarh Express of June 15
- 05809 New Bongaigaon – Guwahati passenger of June 17 will remain cancelled
- 05810 Guwahati – New Bongaigaon passenger of June 18 will remain cancelled